Preparing to apply
The Woods Hole Partnership Education Program (PEP) is designed primarily for college juniors and seniors majoring in the natural sciences (biology, chemistry, physics, or geosciences and earth system sciences), engineering, mathematics or the social sciences, who have had some course work in oceanography, biology, or marine and/or environmental science. Applicants should have a desire to spend a summer gaining practical experience in marine and environmental science.
The program consists of a four-week course (June 2 through June 26) and a ten week research project (ending August 7). Orientation for the 2020 program will be held May 31. Students are expected to participate in orientation and to complete both the course and the internship, all of which take place in Woods Hole. Pending the results of a grant proposal, we anticipate accepting 16 students in mid-March into the 2020 PEP cohort.
- Completion of the online application: Open now!
- Current résumé or CV
- Transcripts (unofficial is acceptable, official are required upon accepting an offer)
- 2 letters of recommendation (one must be from a faculty member)
*If an individual recommending an applicant would prefer to submit their letters directly, they may submit it here.
Potential projects & research mentors
Each year, the PEP Staff matches selected applicants with research mentors across the six scientific institutions in Woods Hole. This matching process has been integral to PEP since its founding in 2009. For the 2020 cohort, students will have the ability to express their research interests based on the potential research mentors and projects list.
Note: The program cannot guarantee a direct project/mentor match. However, your interests will be taken into consideration.
- mid-December 2019 – Applications open for 2020
- February 15 – application deadline
- mid-March – 2020 class announced
- May 31 – orientation in Woods Hole
- June 2 – 26 PEP course (includes a five-day voyage aboard the SSV Corwith Cramer)
- August 7 – final presentations/symposium
- August 8 – students depart
Points of contact
Kwanza Johnson, Academic Programs Coordinator
Alumni publications and program media
Photo gallery 2019
Photo gallery 2018